|Posted on June 12, 2017 at 4:05 PM|
There are a lot of big-name diet companies out there. And it is not for me to say which is good and which is bad. The truth is if you use these programs, you probably will lose weight. But the real problem with dieting is that once you diet, you will have to stay on that diet unless you have learned to make appropriate changes to stay at a healthy weight. I personally am not a big fan of prepackaged food. But if you have lost weight that way or are currently losing weight that way, then stay with it. Using the information in this article in conjunction with a specific diet can and will help.
Please remember that these are tips for weight loss and also for keeping it off. Some will work for you and some won’t. Try a few or all and see what feels good to you and what brings results. Do not attempt to do them all at once. We want to take small steps.
Now for the tips:
1) Remember that protein is the cornerstone for losing weight.
A high-protein diet will help you lose weight. I would recommend adding protein to your diet to jumpstart weight loss. There is more than enough data (*see below) that support the claims of high-protein diets. I bring protein up because it is a great start but should not be the basis of your whole weight loss program.
*Participants in a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported greater satisfaction, less hunger, and more weight loss when fat was reduced to 20% of the total calories in their diets, protein was increased to 30%, and carbs accounted for 50%. The study participants ate 441 fewer calories a day when they followed this high-protein diet and regulated their own calorie intake.
2) Do not drink your calories.
When you stop and think about all that we drink during the course of the day, most people will drink in excess of 500-1,500 calories a day. Wow! That is way too much. With all the sodas, fruit juices, coffees, specialty drinks, and alcohol, we have got to cut back. I am not suggesting that you cut all of those out of your diet, but I am suggesting that you cut way back. In fact I would say try to keep your liquid calories to under 350 a day.
3) Mind your stress at all cost.
This is one of the most important tips for weight loss, because stress is a big factor in weight gain. How, you may ask? Well, some people do tend to gain weight when stressed. When you’re stressed out, many find it more difficult to maintain healthy eating habits. They may eat in an attempt to fulfill emotional needs during a stressful time. Also, the hormone cortisol is secreted by your body during stress. This will actually cause you to gain weight. The science is pretty clear on this. Prolonged stress will lead to weight gain. (Note: If you have high levels of stress and need help, please consult with a doctor or therapist.)
4) Consider alternative therapies for weight loss.
Acupuncture, hypnosis, and massage all have a pretty good track record when it comes to losing weight. If you would like to look into an alternative therapist, I would recommend that they have a license or be certified. Do not be afraid to ask about the process and their experience in helping their clients lose weight.
5) Take a pill.
A vitamin pill, that is. A study by the USDA confirms that women who take a multivitamin every day are slimmer. In fact, they have 15 percent more energy as well. Are all vitamins created equal? Depends on how you ask. The point is to get yourself thinking healthy. A store-brand vitamin should be adequate.
6) Avoid caffeine.
You’ll probably hate this idea, but caffeine can lead to higher stress levels, and we already discussed stress. If you can’t go decaf, try the “lite” brands of coffee.
There is no quick fix when it comes to weight loss. Responsible eating and movement are truly the way. If you do that, weight gain should not be an issue.